Top 10 Theses NOT approved at IWS:
(by Sterling Allen)
1. Develop a series of hand signals, in the style of LDS Tabernacle rites, for the FBC of Kilgore.
2. Understanding the underlying theology of showtunes.
3. Discovering the beauty of liturgical dance through the movement of “Sweatin’ to the Oldies.”
4. Developing a theory and praxis for projector balancing using denominational resources (i.e. hymnals and Holy Bibles).
5. The Naked Truth: Developing liturgical resources for the Happy Acres Naturalist Recreation Center All-Faith Chapel.
6. Alternate elements for Holy Eucharist: Spice Up the Feast with Nacho flavor Doritos and Zima.
7. Develop, create, and distribute “Vabulous”, the stylish couture of Papal Garments for Emerging Worship at Mars Hill Church, Seattle.
8. Ghetto Chant: An inspired, emerging, worship tradition combining High Anglican chant with the stylish beats and rhymes of Eminem and Snoop Dogg.
9. Worship: Ain’t no need to change a thing… (100 pages of affirmations for the Quaker congregation of Kalamazoo, Michigan).
10. We’ll Shout and Give Him Glory: The silent praises of an all mime congregation!!!!
Vital historical elements which have contemporary interest in worship:
1. The 2 fold order of Word/Table
2. Extensive reading of the Holy Scriptures
3. Multiple types of prayer
4. Participatory worship through gestures and enactment
5. Creeds or affirmations of faith
6. The Christ-centeredness of worship
7. The God-ward nature of worship
8. The sense of community
Top 10 hymn-based devotional guides for REAL WORLD tasks.
by Sterling Allen, Josh Melson, and Clayton Faulkner
10. As the Deer: A Hunter’s Guide to Game Population Reduction and Hymnody
9. More Precious Than Silver: A Guide to Worship Renewal for Pawn Shop Owners
8. Silence, Frenzied, Unclean Spirit: A Christian Guide to Dealing with Road Rage
7. In the Garden: How to Pull the Weeds Out of Your Spiritual Life
6. Shout to the North: How Yodeling Can Enhance Your Praise Band
5. Light the Fire Again: Devotions for Emerging Arsonists
4. Open the Eyes of My Heart: A Novice Guide to AT HOME Lasix™ Surgury
3. I Need the Every Hour: One Hundred and One Tasty Recipes for Communion Bread
2. A Charge to Keep Have I: Credit Card Disputes and Resolutions
1. Pass it On: Avoiding the h1n1 Virus during Holy Communion
Right now, I’m in Orange Park, FL at the Robert Webber Institute for Worship Studies. I come every June to work on my doctoral degree in Worship Studies. It’s always a rich time of learning to think deeply and differently about worship, as well as connecting with friends I’m made along the way.
But it is tough to leave the family behind. 3 year olds are stressful, at least they seem to be sometimes when you’re in the middle of a tantrum. But when you step out of the normal flow of life and leave them behind, you really miss them. Thank goodness for video chat….