(On Saturday, May 12, 2012 I gave a workshop at the TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod Assembly. These are the notes/images from that workshop!)
- The video screen has become the new stained glass in 21st Century churches.
- Why projection?
- We live in a visual culture. The common currency for communication has shifted from text to images.
- “It’s not either image, or text. It’s both/and, image and text. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. Jesus was a man (image) living among us. He was also text (the Word become flesh).” ~ Leonard Sweet, The Gospel According to Starbucks
How to make a great looking PowerPoint slide
- Don’t just throw a Times New Roman font on a white screen! Creating beautiful slides is intensive and time-consuming.
- Helpful Guidelines:
- Don’t overload the slides with content (MAX: 6 lines of lyric, 6 words to summarize point).
- Limit your font choices to 2. Choose fonts that are easy to read and use the styles consistently throughout your presentation.
- Not distracting, but not too simple.
- Choose a background that will attract the viewer’s eye to the words. If your background requires the words to have an outline and a drop shadow to be readable, it is no longer attracting the viewer’s eye to the words.
- Use the negative space (Dark background/light text; light background/dark text).
- Use imagery that tells the story of the text.
- Avoid clipart at all costs. Use stock photography or artwork.
- Use simple transitions (cross fade).
The move toward presentation software
- CCLI integration, Bible integration, moving backgrounds, announcements, real-time editing, PowerPoint integration, etc.
- EASY WORSHIP, ProPresenter4, MediaShout, ProWorship, etc.
Web resources for graphics